Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Settling in!

I have arrived...to Fort Worth, Texas that is.


Mom and I made the 18 hour+ journey from Michigan on Wednesday and arrived in Texas on Friday afternoon. We stopped at visited Greg, Stef, and Faith on the way down which was a nice beginning to the long trip. We pulled a Uhaul trailer on the back of my "new" Mountaineer and everything went quite smoothly...minus the few times mom had to back up the trailer in tight spots. I got to experience traveling West of the Mississippi for the first time! We also spent the night in Arkansas and ate dinner at a Mexican restaurant. I wanted so badly to speak Spanish to the waiter but nerves got the best of me. Finally by the time we left, I got up the courage to speak to the manager and tell him that I enjoyed the food! He seemed excited that I spoke Spanish and we had a short conversation. Love it!! Since being here, I'm obviously hearing a lot more Spanish...now I have to just put myself out there and use it!


As we were driving into Texas, I have to say that I didn't think it looked that much different than Michigan. There was green grass and green trees, it was pretty hilly and overall quite pretty. Now as I'm in Fort Worth, there are obvious differences due to it being a large city. The roads are kind of rough and traffic is a little crazier. It seems like I will never know where I'm going, but of course I will eventually. The area that I live in is quaint...lots of little houses (rentals probably) and pretty quiet.

Now the biggest difference of all, as many of you can guess, is the heat!! Oh my goodness, I just can't get over how HOT it is outside. Mom and I moved in all my furniture in 105 degree weather and it was miserable. And really, I'm never that hot because everything has AC...but I miss being able to go outside and enjoy the summer! Mom and I tried to take a walk tonight and it didn't last very long. The air is so heavy and the breeze is never cool. I'm not trying to complain, I knew it would be hot, but I guess it's hard to describe without sounding negative. ha. Let's just say I will enjoy this weather when there is 3ft. snow in MI this winter.

Here's my house:


So, the last few days have been exhausting and exciting, all at the same time. We've been putting together some furniture, shopping for groceries and other household goods, getting everything organized, etc. Mom leaves Thurs. and I start orientation on Monday. I haven't met my roommate yet, but she should be coming tomorrow! I'm excited about that and I hope everything continues to go well!!


Let me know how things are in Michigan!!

No comments: