Thursday, July 11, 2013

Reflections from an airplane


"Are you headed home?"
 
 
I think this question sums up the essence of my life. When the lady seated next to me on the airplane asked me this question, my first response was "well, I'm kind of between homes right now." And then I began to think about it more and more, realizing the truth in my answer. I have had many homes over the years: Michigan, Argentina, Texas, and my soon-to-be new home! It is making me remember that I truly am a sojourner and earth is not my home.
 
Sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with me when I have a hard time picturing myself settling down with the same job, same house, same church for a lifetime. But then I am reminded that God has fashioned me like this for a purpose. He delights in my unique desires and guides my steps accordingly.
 
For we know that if the tent that
is our earthly home is destroyed,
we have a building from God,
a house not made with hands,
eternal in the heavens.
For in this tent we groan, longing
to be put in our heavenly dwelling.
                       2 Corinthians 5:1,2
 
 
And, although it is difficult to say goodbye to one home for now, I am comforted by God's promise to provide a "hundredfold, now in this time...and in the age to come, eternal life" (Mark 10:30). I want to be able to respond to Jesus like Peter, who said "see, we have left everything and followed you" (Mark 10:28), rather than the man who had to walk away from Jesus, filled with sorrow, for he had too much stuff that he was unwilling to let go of. Following Jesus is so much sweeter than holding onto things and relationships that will never ultimately satisfy.
 
Paul himself even counts all of his accomplishments "as loss for the sake of Christ" (Phil 3:7).  And he accomplished a lot!  He continues:
 
Indeed I count everything as loss because
of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ
Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered
the loss of all things and count them as
 rubbish in order that I may gain Christ
and be found in him.
                                    Philippians 3:8
 
So, for now, I am laying aside my career, salary, and Spanish to learn a new job, in a new culture, with a new language. And when I start to get scared, I try to remind myself that "...our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ..." (Phil 3:20), and that my goal is not to make for myself a comfortable, easy life here on earth. My goal is to bring glory to God, whatever the means!
 
 
I am headed home. 



No comments: