Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Lord is my Warrior

Something dawned on me last night as I was reflecting on the day's message.

But, before getting to that, I have to share from our time learning about spiritual warfare. Our teacher summed up his message in one sentence:

"God leads us into impossible battles so the nations may hear of his glory."

When God is dealing with his people in the Bible, he often gives them instructions like he did in Exodus 14:13, "Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the Lord..." He gave similar instructions to another people when they were up against 3 armies, saying "You will not need to fight in this battle. Stand firm, hold your position, and see the salvation of the Lord on your behalf" (2 Chron. 20:15). Can you imagine? Being defenseless, with an army (or three) bearing down on you, wondering "Why has the Lord brought me to this place? How can I survive?"  Only to have him answer, "Don't worry, just stand there, I've got this!" Seems a little crazy.

But that's exactly what he does say. Stand firm. Don't move. See my salvation. He is telling his people that HE is in control, that he wants to work on their behalf, that they shouldn't fear the outcome. He clarifies for Jehoshaphat and his men:
 
Do not be afraid and do not
be dismayed at the great horde,
for the battle is not yours but God's.
                                  2 Chronicles 20:15


But Lord, how can you tell me not to worry? The truth is: The Lord is a man of war (Exodus 15:3). He is our warrior, and he fights for us in a battle that has already been won!
 
All of this lesson we learned today really served to clarify the passage of Scripture that says:
 
Be still and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!
                         Psalm 46:10
 
Sound familiar? ("God leads us into impossible battles so the nations may hear of his glory.")
 
I am learning that, in the midst of conflict, in the midst of a battle, when the situation seems impossible, when I don't know what to do, God calls me to "Be still," literally. Do nothing to save myself or redeem the situation. Don't rely on my own plans. Be still. Stand firm, don't be afraid, know that HE has the power, HE is in control, and watch him work. When I do that, when I trust God in a totally "impossible" situation, who gets the credit? HE does! People from all over the world will begin to see his glory and power, just as I do! 
 
I am entering a time in my life when this is completely relevant. I am completely inadequate. I don't know enough, don't know the right words to say. There are days when I will be overwhelmed with lostness, days in which the task will seem impossible. BUT, instead of praying for strength, I have learned to pray for weakness. For stillness. For God says "My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness" (2 Cor. 12:9).
 
The Lord is my warrior. In Him alone will I trust.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




No comments: