Saturday, October 4, 2008

A first for everything!

Hola de nuevo!!

This weekend was an excellent one. Well, I guess mine really started on Thursday this week because it was Andrea's birthday so we went out to celebrate. We grabbed dinner in Puerto Madero, the richest neighborhood of BsAs where there are the most tourists. The dinner was yummy, but what came after was the best! We decided to try out a Milonga, which is a place that people go to dance Tango and Milonga, a type of tango.

When we first arrived I was quite nervous because I didn't really know what to expect. I've heard that sometimes the people aren't very open to having tourists there (depending on which place you go) and, being a beginner, I didn't want someone to ask me to dance and then get mad that I can't actually do it! haha. So anyways, we went in and got a seat. I am bummed that I didn't bring my camera, but Andrea had hers so I will hopefully be able to post pictures later. I was a dance floor with a bunch of tables and chairs surrounding it so you could watch and/or wait for someone to ask you to dance. Traditionally the way that the men ask women to dance is with their eyes. That way a woman can reject the man without making it obvious to everyone else. He looks her in the eyes and waits for her to look back at him and accept. Creepy eh? This place luckily is a little less traditional, so the men just came up and asked you.
So we were at first thinking that we would just watch because, let's face it...we aren't that good. Well, shortly after we sat down, people starting coming up and asking us to dance!! After making sure to warn them that we were beginners, we began to dance the night away! They were mostly older people, which was perfectly fine with me. I had a blast! There was one guy in particular that I danced with quite a bit and he was so patient and nice, I feel like I learned a lot! I now feel like an official tango dancer. But especially because I danced in my very first tango SHOW!!
Yes, that's right folks...I danced in a tango show in Argentina. It was a show apparently for some rich high school in BsAs, but our class did an exhibition in the middle. I arrived at the university to find my partner waiting with the biggest, most beautiful rose ever! (My partner being the handsome Jonas Melin from Sweden ;-)) Made for some great pictures!
Me with my georgous rose!
Me with my handsome partner!

Dancing in the show!
So, this weekend ended up being filled with Tango and I loved it. Thanks Jonas, for being a great partner, and hello to everyone at home!!
Hugs and kisses!

1 comment:

Jonas said...

Sí. Estoy de acuerdo. Parece injusto que tu blog es en inglés y la mia en sueco. Pero bueno, escribiré mi próximo texto en inglés para que puedas leerlo! (I don't think the Swedes will mind!)

Muchas gracias por ser mi compañera en el show! Espero que podamos bailar más juntos! (En una milonga quizás?) Ahora solo tengo que enseñarte bailar el vals!

Nos vemos el martes!
/J