Saturday, February 26, 2011

Life of a not-stressed grad student

I need to be careful posting so soon...y'all are going to start thinking I'm a regular blogger! (Did you notice the "y'all"??)

Let's see...Life.

I am surprised at how not-stressed I am this semester. I've been trying to figure it out. I have fewer clinical assignment things to do, such as writing reports and making lesson plans, but I have an additional class. And class isn't without work and studying, let me assure you. I am hoping that I am not just waiting until the last minute to do everything for classes, but I have already started my research paper due in 3 weeks, which I'd say is an accomplishment. I am wondering if my being less stressed correlates with the strength of my relationship with God. (can you tell that my research class is infiltrating my life?) It seems like, the more time I take out to spend with God, reading his word, praying, etc., the more time I seem to have in my day. It seems counter intuitive, but I can only say that it feels true for me on a daily basis. Now, I am not saying that I DON'T get stressed about anything or worry about anything. I am human, after all. However, I do have an overall sense of peace about my daily life, what I am involving myself in, how I spend my time, what I'm getting done, etc.

In other news, I have had QUITE an exciting week!! It started with meeting up with Ethan, our college ministry director, last Sunday to talk about missions and all of the possibilities for the college group. He had approached me in the past couple of weeks to ask if I would pray about heading up missions for the college ministry. This seems to be an answer to a long-prayed prayer! He sort of issued a challenge to me to "stretch my ministry muscles," which is exciting for me!
(And scary too!) I haven't stepped far out of my comfort zone in ministry in quite some time. It reminds me of the question:

"What thing are you doing right now in your life that would be impossible without God?"

So, I'm striking out on a new path in life that I believe God is faithfully guiding me down! I started out this week getting a tour of Catholic Charities, a local organization that works closely with refugee populations (among many many other ministries) to settle them, provide financial and job assistance, and mentor relationships. I also met later in the week with the director of missions at my church and another young lady like myself who actually works for Catholic Charities. It looks like things are falling into place and I am SO looking forward to where this can go. I will definitely give more updates in the future! Now I'm praying that the vision I have for this can be cast into the hearts and minds of my fellow college students at Wedgwood.

On a side note, I finally got an opportunity to teach and play Settlers of Catan last weekend with a couple of sweet girls. It brought back memories of good times last year with my wonderful friends at CMU. Now I just need to find someone who knows how to play chess! (Gosh, I'm SUCH a nerd!!) But better a nerd than a dork. (Oh wait, I think that's me too.)

Sending my love!



No comments: